Thursday, November 09, 2006

Life of Chris

I have had a few of the same questions from people so I figured I would answer them on the blog. As I don't have as many good long posts of places we are visiting, this space might settle down into shorter posts with more of my witty banter.

Internet at the apartment is down again. I supposed I should call them and complain. I am typing this entry up at the apartment and then off to Mocha Beans again to connect to the internet and upload. Also I am typing this on MS Works, that sucks. We own a copy of MS Office that we got legally when Paty’s first company, Cybervision, went out of business. But it has seemed to disappear. If anyone reading this has my copy, please let me know. Post note: Called NTL and complained about internet. They are going to call me back in 24-48 hours.

Back to our regular post. So during the week I try to stay busy, but it is kind of tough to do since I don’t know anyone. Everyday I either golf, go for a run or go to soccer practice er training. I trained with some new guys on Monday. It didn’t go that well. We played for an hour and during that hour there was one dude on my team who I swear passed me the ball less than 5 times. I was like Jason Kidd dishing out assists for an hour, of which this guy received at least 8, and I couldn’t get a return pass. Then there was another incident where I had the ball in the corner, remember these fields are like indoor size but perfectly square so there are corners, and this big guy from the other team was just hammering on my legs from behind randomly kicking at the ball. I was still shielding the ball and hit him back a few times and he actually told me to ‘settle down‘! Then later in the day he boarded me as I ran past him. So it was a little more physical than I am used to for practice. Maybe all these problems would have been better if I didn’t wear my US Soccer jersey. If I do go back maybe I will sport the Ireland jersey and see if it elicits some sympathy. Or passes.

The Thursday guys I play with are more enjoyable. First they are more competitive, second they pass to me and third there is not some big Shrek trying to hurt the American. Tonight will be my third session with them. I enjoy it because I still want to get out and touch the ball, but I would like to play an actual game. You know with referees and scoreboards. Is that asking too much?

Next Wednesday we are going to Riga. I think my last post was a little ambiguous as a couple people asked me if we were going this weekend. Rest assured that I will have a lengthy photo post of that trip. I am sure Klisch will have one also, maybe if his is better I will link to it. Or just plagiarize his post, that would be easier for my loyal reader(s).

Here are a few pictures of Galway that I have been saving:

These two pictures were taken on November 1st. Whatever rain that has been hammering the West Coast has not showed up in Ireland. We have had a string of beautiful days that is almost unheard of for November in Ireland.

View from my deck, there is a huge colony of these swans that live in the bay about 50 yards from our apartment. These two wandered up our canal:


Just like feeding the seagulls at Ivar’s on the Seattle Waterfront. If you bring some bread out there the swans come running er swimming:


SALTHILL, THE PALMS SPRINGS OF IRELAND

1 comment:

nat said...

these pictures are amazing!!!