Saturday, June 17, 2006

USA v Italia

Here is the picture of the place that we watched the US v Italy game. In case you did not know, I sold my tickets for the game. Reid and I were in Germany for 7 days and then back to Brussels for one day and then Paty and I would have had to drive about 5 hours to the game after one day back. We were planning on doing this, but now we are going to meet Paty's sister, Lucy, and brother in law, Raul, in Cologne next Thursday for three nights. This would have meant that Paty would be driving back and forth to Germany every weekend I am here. We just decided that discretion is probably the better part of valour for this subject. I did make quite a bit profit on the tickets, but I would rather have been there.

We watched the debacle of a game here. The picture really does not do the place justice as by kickoff there were an estimated 750 people at this bar inside and out.
I really don't know what to think about the outcome of the game. On one hand I am proud of us getting a point while playing with nine men for the last 44 minutes of the game. On the othere hand, I think that we were the better squad. Their red card was an absolute no brainer and I think this will be justified when he is suspended for an additional three or more games. Our red cards were an absolute atrocity. The straight red for Pablo was a joke and both of Pope's yellows were questionable at best. Add this to the fact that we had a goal disallowed on what was a passive offsides call and then the Italian non call hand ball in the box that could have been a penalty but was not called and I am a little bit bitter. Also, the Italian goal was off a set piece that was a questionable call. If just one of these decisions went our way, we would most likely have gotten the 3 points from this game.
Here is the picture, enough whining....

Now, I know it is late and I know it is not healthy to be dwelling on this, but this what I just pulled off the front Webpage of the Yahoo site:
Headline:
U.S. hangs tough to survive Italian test
Text:
Playing most of the second half with just eight men, the U.S. held Italy to a 1-1 draw Saturday at the World Cup.
I know this is me just being critical of American media, but seriously 8 men? I guess our goalie doesn't count....
Now I don't know how Blogger updates the times on these posts, but it is 1:36 AM as I am updating this post with the little Yahoo 8 men thing. I need to take Reid to the airport in about 7 hours and Paty has been in bed for 2 hours, but I am still so worked up about the game that I can't even think of sleeping. Plus, for those keeping score at home, the back is still a Major problem.

No comments: