Monday, June 22, 2009

Memorial Day 2009

Every year we go to Cape Lookout State Park for Memorial Day Weekend. The Tobin's and the Last's and assorted friends soak up around 7 camping spots at the park. Well most years assuming that the correct weekend was reserved, but that's another story. Here's the cape itself:

Every year we pretty much do the same things. Friday night is steak night as we are all filtering in to the campground from locales afar:

Notice the lights and the steaks already on the grill? Because of some strange confluence of events, traffic and vacation availability we all got to the Park around 4 PM. Here is the gang from our side of the family. Notice that everyone already has a drink except me. I had to include this picture because really, what are the odds?

By far the earliest ever arrival. Paty decided to share her Champagne with Natalie:

And Natalie decided to share her lime with Paty.

Saturday is our trip to the Pelican Pub and Brewery. This is my favorite brew pub in the entire world (of which we have sought out and sampled many a brew pub) and it just so happens to be in Pacific City, Oregon. This year our party consisted of 22 people:

It turns out that it is really hard to get 22 people to pay attention at one time, plus we had the issue of the back light in the room. If I was crafty with the camera, you would see that the ocean is just past that window. Here is another attempt to get everyone to pay attention. I had an even better picture where almost everyone was looking at the camera, except one person who was trying to get everyone's attention to look at the camera. And that person happens to be your author, so this is the picture you get instead:

Paty, bonding with Clare. Shannon watching like a hawk in the background (just in case).

Saturday night I am in charge of dinner. We did Salmon along with a lot of sides. Well more me as Paty pretty much just supervises. But she is starting to adapt to this camping thing. As long as it is limited to once or twice a year.

Sunday is crabbing day. We get on a little aluminum boat in Netarts Bay and cruise around the bay chasing Dungeness crab. The last few years it seems that the crabs are winning. All weekend we had about the best weather you could ever ask for on the Oregon Coast. Mid 70's all weekend with little to no wind. And more importantly, NO RAIN. Here is me crabbing:

I was imitating the locals:

And here is our catch:

VICTORY, one crab for the Chris, John, Aaron, Paty and Cupholder boat. Zero for the other boats...combined.

Again, I can't stress how nice the weather was. Paty got back to her Mexican roots and laid out on the beach:


It was a great weekend, we are looking forward to it again. On unrelated blog news, I am running the Seattle Rock and Roll Half Marathon this weekend. But Paty is going on a school retreat. So unless I get someone to take pictures (Chizzy maybe) there will be no photo journal of the event. Just be warned that we START the race at 7 AM. Why these runs start so early is beyond me, but there it is. The last time I ran before Noon also happened to be the Last time I ran a half marathon. In Prague, Czech Republic in March of 2007. You can find all the details here:
Prague Half Marathon Post
It is very safe to say that this race will take me significantly longer as my training has been less than stellar.

No comments: