Wednesday, June 03, 2009

FINALLY LEGAL

By the heading of this post you think I would be posting something about my baby brother Patrick turning 21, but we still have about a month for that event.

No, today is the day where I passed emissions and got my new car legal for driving:

For those of you who don't know I bought my Grandpa's old car, this 1985 Mercedes 380SL, last November. But being Seattle and winter I kept it in the garage until April.

In order to get it licensed I needed to pass emissions. Due to a slight oversight in idling emissions we failed the first time back in April. When you fail you get to take the car to one of hundreds of 'licensed' emissions people in King County. And if you spend a minimum of $150 trying to fix the problem then you get a waiver until next year.

Well let's just say finding one of these licensed emissions people that will work on a 1985 Mercedes is a little bit harder than you would think. After trying three places in West Seattle that each had their own unique issues I ended up taking it to Phil Smart Mercedes in downtown Seattle. Not surprisingly my bill was exactly $150 plus tax, but I did pass emissions so I guess it was worth it. And being as the car is a 1985, this is the last year it will have to pass emissions since any car over 25 years old is exempt. Which is a curios law seeing as the goal of emissions is to lower overall emissions by automobiles and cars over 25 years old are much more prone to actually being the cars that need to worry about emissions, but I digress.

Here is another picture of me from my house. Patrick is up here and he took the pictures. I was hoping to get me with the car and the water in the background but Patrick deemed it more important to get the entire street in the picture.

On a side note, it touched 90 degrees in Seattle yesterday. The perfect weather to break out the convertible. There is a hard top as well. Patrick and I took about 15 minutes to figure out how to get it off. But the hard top is now safely ensconced in my garage for the summer.

No comments: