Friday, October 06, 2006

Running in Ireland

Today I went on a run, who are we kidding a jog that was barely faster than a crawl. I almost got passed by a lady with her walker. Luckily I kicked a rock at her wheels and she got held up.

But courtesy of a friend of mine(ours depending on who is reading), Keri Baker, I found a great place to run. I left my apartment and promptly ran to Salthill. This is a town 3 km up the coast from Galway. It also boasts the largest seaside promenade in Europe. At least that is what the tourist sign I stopped to read said. So the advantage of running on this promenade are two fold:
One - I don't have to dodge any cars driving on the wrong side of the road, only old ladies with walkers.
Two - Since it is a seaside promenade by definition it is FLAT!

This is a huge divergence from my occasional foray into the running world at my house in West Seattle. I can't avoid hills there. Here even though the name of the town is Salthill, there are no hills! Awesome. Next I might try to even go a little farther as I don't think my 36:30 run actually took me more than 4 miles, if that.

Although in my defense, I think I ran through four different climate changes in a short time frame. Sunny, light rain, sideways rain and huge rainbows were all to be had. Welcome to Ireland Chris, get used to it kid!

Still no internet in the house, I am again at the coffee shop across the street. I will take some pics over the weekend as Paty and I are spending it in Galway with no plans except to see Galway United tonight take on the Shamrock Rovers. Galway is #1 in the table and Shamrock is #2, but Shamrock has two games in hand. Should be a good match. Tonight is an 'all seater' match. Meaning you have to buy your ticket in advance. This is normally not the case as not a lot of people go to these games I guess. 2500 seat stadium, so we will probably have good seats! Kick off at 7:45, should be warm! Paty is pumped up about the outing as you can imagine....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris!

Sounds like things are great - the place looks wonderful and couldn't be in a better location......not sure you are going to want to come home:)

Shannon