Saturday, October 28, 2006

Reading

For those of you that don't keep track of my myriad sports loyalties on a daily basis, I have adopted the Reading FC as my English Premiership squad to support. I have actually been following the Royal's (their nickname) for a few years now because they have two Yanks, Marcus Hahnemann and Bobby Convey, on their squad. Hahnemann is the goalie and grew up in Seattle. Played for Seattle Pacific University, so a local boy makes good story for sure. Both are national team players.
Marcus:

The football club is actually a really good story. This is the fist time since the club was established in 1871 that they are playing in the top division. Last year they won the Championship and because of that they were promoted to the English Premiership, this is the highest league in England. So I am definitely cheering for the underdog.

During our trip to London last week I took the time to take the train out to Reading and then took a bus to Madjeski Stadium. It was pretty cool. A nice stadium. I took a few pictures:
The Stadium:


And because I am me, here is a picture of myself in front of the stadium in my new Reading kit(English for jersey):


Downtown Reading, it is actually a nice town. Mid size city actually. Reading is about a 1 hour 15 minute train ride outside of London. That seems quite a while, but the English national rail trains don't really move that fast.

Again because I am me here is the warm up jacket that I just 'couldn't resist'. I know, I am pathetic but at least I realize it.

No comments: