Thursday, October 05, 2006

Galway At Last

This is probably going to be a shorter post as we still do not have internet at the apartment(okay, still might be a little tough we have only been there for 18 and a half hours).

But I wanted to post some pictures of the apartment and area that I took yesterday.
These first three are from our balcony, yes balcony. If you notice, and it is hard to miss, there is a pub directly across the street. And what is that next to it you ask? That is a Ladbroke's. Basically a sports betting place, the largest in the UK and Ireland. Then next to that is what they call an 'off license shop'. I was curious what that meant. And basically it is a store that stays open later then the grocery stores and sells all sorts of beer and wine. So what it boils down to is that if I am in the mood for a Guinness, I pop across the road and on the way I can make a bet on the Seahawks and afterwards I can pick up a six pack or some wine until midnight. You can probably guess how I feel about the location Paty chose. I think it is going to work out.




These pictures are of our apartment. It is brand new, I had to take all the stickers off the fridge, unwrap the oven racks, get all the packing out of the dishwasher, etc... So Brand Brand new. Hardwood floors in the living areas. Marble tile in the entryway and bathrooms. Two bedrooms and two baths, plus the aforementioned balcony. From the Balcony to the left is the start of Galway bay. We are across the street from the water; a small river runs below our balcony as you can see. For those of you familiar with Galway, we are located across the river from the start of Quay Street.




As Paty was not feeling good, and as of this writing still is not. I had to venture out alone last night. I know what you are all thinking, what type of person would leave his sick wife at home alone on their first night in their new home?

In a word, me.

I admit, I am selfish. But in my defense, we had been in Ireland for six hours as we flew in to Dublin, rented a car and drove across the country to Galway. In all that time, I kept hearing this little voice in the back of my head extolling me to partake of the national drink and I resisted. Once we got settled and I brought up all the bags, of which there were many as you can see. I could not resist the pull of the Guinness.

Sue me.

By the way, if first impressions are any indication. I love this place. Small enough to not be enveloped by the hustle and bustle like Brussels. But large enough to have events going on that can keep one busy. After day 1, staying longer is definitely winning. I forgot to mention, but on my outing last night I found out about the local soccer team and have tickets for Friday night!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like a pretty good setup. Good job Paty! Chris, Good thing Guiness is lighter in calories than those belgian beers.

Reid

Anonymous said...

Chris-

Do you think the baby monitor will range the nearest pub? It would be nice to leave the kids at your place in bed and bring the baby monitor to the pub. That is legal in Ireland...right?

Dave

Anonymous said...

That looks like a sweet setup for sure. Are you going to be looking for a job out there?