Monday, July 06, 2009

4th of July US Soccer Gold Cup

What could be better than seeing your country play on Independence day? This wasn't exactly the legendary 4th of July game between Brazil and the USA in the round of 16 of World Cup 1994 at Standford Stadium where Brazil, en route to their 4th World Cup title, narrowly knocked out the US 1-0. But it was still US Soccer on a US holiday in my hometown.

The US was taking on Grenada. Considering that Grenada has a total population of 90,000 people I was confident in our chances. They did have to qualify for this tournament, finishing in the top four of the twenty nation Caribbean zone.

The view from our seats, the announced attendance was 15,837. Not exactly a Sounders game, but not as bad as I expected.

This was part of a double header in the Gold Cup. Before the US game Honduras played Haiti, the US's next two opponents in pool play.

Here is Paty and I in our seats. They were in the sun for the finish of the Honduras game and the first 15 minutes or so of the US game. We were super close to the field being in row two by the corner flag. Not exactly the best view, but it gives a vastly different perspective from my uber-excellent Sounders tickets.

Sam's Army made a tentative appearance. Actually this was as much of the entertainment as the game itself, with notable appearances by such famous fans as Mr Mohawk (front right, notice the not so excited girlfriend) and Mount Rushmore shirt with no sleeves guy (dead center front row with headband),

After the 4-0 drubbing, Paty and I headed home to celebrate on the deck. You really couldn't ask for a better day weather wise.


We had a little Bar-B-Q on the Tobin Deck for the 4th. You can see quite a few fireworks from our house. We normally do this same routine every 4th, I'm not a huge fan of wading through the riff raff of people that show up for some of the standard 4th of July shows. So this lets us avoid the traffic and still enjoy the shows from the comfort of our deck.


That was our 4th, I hope the few readers I still have left all had a good holiday as well. I've been posting a lot more lately and I have a sneaky suspicion (plus I have a website tradker) that no one is really reading. This is through all fault of my own as I went quite some time with no posts and fell out of the 'rotation'. Lately I've had a lot more to post about since I have had a lot of TGC (Tobin Generated Content).

I'll continue to post whenever the TGC gives me something mildly entertaining. In the near future you might (or might not if I go back to my lazy ways) see posts on Pat's 21st Birthday, Cold Play at the Gorge, Sounders versus hated Chelsea of the English Premier League and the Boat Races.

And that's just July. It's going to be a busy summer!

No comments: