Thursday, March 25, 2010

Biggest Day in Seattle?

March 25th, 2010: Plans for the day:
8 AM, Paty has what we think is her final interview in the process to become a US citizen.

4:27 UW tipoff in the SWEET SIXTEEN v West Virginia

6:30 First Kick, i.e. the MLS season opener in Seattle v the Philly Union. BIG DAY!!!

That was the outline, here is the reality:
Paty goes to what turns out to be her last interview in the process of becoming a US citizen. (Cliff Notes version: Paty and I met in High School at the age of 18 in 1992. It is now 18 years later, we have been married for 10+ years and she is becoming a citizen of the United State of America (Health Care approved yesterday, coincidence?)).

Paty passed her personal interview and the Homeland Security agent asked if she had plans for later today?

Uh, no Mr Homeland Security Guy Paty does not have plans today. Thus:



I woke up this morning with a Mexican, I sleep tonight with an American Citizen!

After the ceremony I dropped Paty at home as we both are still suffering from the latest cold to go around. Since the UW was in the Sweet Sixteen I toughed it out at the pub before the Sounders game at Sluggers with my Amigos:

At Qwest, this was my second national anthem of the day. While 34,000 people watched this anthem, it was a bit less dramatic as the anthem at Paty's ceremony:

The Royal Brougham End was in fine form tonight, as evidenced by this massive flag made just for the Philly Union's only appearance in Seattle:

A pic of me before the rain became to bad:


In retrospect, the UW lost our sweet sixteen game for the fourth time in my lifetime. Also the third time since Romar has taken over the program and I have been a season ticket holder for UW Hoops. It crushes me to lose these games, but as a wise man once said: Better to have played the Sweet Sixteen and lost than not played at all!

The UW is out at the Sweet Sixteen again, but Paty is one of us. Net result for March 25th 2010: Winner!

3 comments:

Joanne Smith said...

VERY cool Chris! Tell Paty congratulations!!!
And . . . Happy Birthday!! 36, right? Nancy asked me to try and print your blog and give a copy to Nanna so I'll try to do that today.

Shans said...

That is GREAT news! Very exciting for you both! Tell Paty congrats and Happy Birthday!!!

Shans said...

Happy Birthday to you - not Paty :)